Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A spice of Japan blue

Blue flowers on the left side in the photo leave an impression on me. Is this indigo blue?

Yes, I think I can say so but this blue is not exactly indigo blue. The indigo blue must be much stronger like black. As I didn't know the exact name, I checked the color name by Japanese color sample book.

This blue is said to be "hanada-iro (sapphire blue)" and it is a pure blue created with a single indigo dye. I didn't know this name, but I often see this color in Japanese textiles, so I think the color is a representative color in Japanese textiles as well as indigo blue. When this color is used in ikebana, an ikebana work can be more Japanized.

The other flowers of the photo, pale pink spray carnations and pink roses, are western origins, so the blue is a little spice for Japan image. Also, color tones of these three flowers are similar and light, so this work has uniformity and gives an impression of cleanliness.

No comments: